Pages

Friday, May 15, 2015

5 Months until IRONMAN!

19 days. Yup that is it. That is the number of days I have 'officially' been training for my first Ironman. Of those 19 days, I have had 2 days off (tomorrow will be number 3) and covering over 250 miles between the three disciplines. Only 5 more months to go.
 
training plan


I have liked the training plan I've picked so far. It is from Matt Fitzgerald's book, Essential Week by Week Training Guide. It is pretty intense compared to what I am use to, but the Ironman race is more an intense race than I am use to.  It gives me one day complete rest, swim 3 days, run and bike 4 days. This equates to doing multiple disciplines almost everyday except one.  My goal is to just finish in the time allotted so I feel this plan will get me there. Since I opted not to get a coach, the workouts are detailed enough in that every time I finish one, I always feel like I accomplish something helping me  reach closer to my goal. For example the swim spells out the length of warm-ups, cool-downs, drill sets, fartleks, etc. The bike has the intensity of the ride, length of the ride, and what type of ride: foundation, power intervals, speed intervals etc. The run is similar to the bike with having length of run, type of run, and intensity. I have adjusted quickly to running and biking to time versus distance. It is nice to know exactly how early I need to get up in the morning to get my workout completed.

 Each week I look at my workouts and what is schedule for everyone so I know how I can fit them in. Each day my goals are to finish my workouts, hang out (play, homework etc) with the kids, and get dinner on the table. After that I find myself pretty tired and ready for bed. While the kids are in school, I have been getting my workouts completed early. Typically getting up before 6am to either have my bike or run completed before my husband leaves for work. By then, my oldest is also at school and I get my younger kids ready for the day. Depending on the day, the other two go to preschool and I get my second workout completed. Once summer comes around, I will have to figure out the best way to get my workouts completed without the kids feeling they are spending all day at the YMCA.
first crash bruise
One of the hills that defeated me today.
I have had time to update occasionally on facebook which you probably saw I survived my first group ride and wreck. It was good to get out of my comfortzone on the bike to ride with others I did not know. I rode my longest distance to date - 40miles. It was mostly flat, so I felt pretty good.  I am hoping to connect up with the other riders soon.  Today I did my first solo long bike ride since training started. Two hills beat me up. I only made it about 1/3-1/2 way up - meaning I had to walk the rest of the way up.  I am hoping each time I get a little bit farther. I biked out Mayo Lane looking onward to 42 where the course takes us and I am pretty sure those hills got a lot bigger.  I know hills are my weakness, so this just confirmed it. I will need to practice hills and prepare myself mentally for them as well.  I can't let this get to me. Fortunately these hills were not on the course. I will be visiting them again soon. 

Feeling like a superhero in the wetsuit
My dad supporting me in open water swims














On Mother's Day, I had my first open water swim in my wetsuit. I was so nervous. It was the first time ever swimming in a wetsuit. Fortunately, I was able to try it out with my dad in a kayak (his first time in a kayak, haha) at my friend's parents' house. The water was so quiet and peaceful. The water was warmer than I expected so my feet, hands, and head felt fine swimming. The test swim in the wetstuit went well. I still need to practice sighting as training goes along. I feel like my swimming has come a long way, but still have a ways to go. I look forward to doing some more open swims soon. My dad is training for his first Olympic distance triathlon this summer so I know we have some more training sessions together in the future. We trained together for our first marathons over 15 years ago, so I am excited to go through this training with him as well.

Pedestrian bridge run to Indiana

My running continues to go well. It is the one discipline I am most comfort and look forward to those workouts.I find myself ready for bed shortly after I put my kids to bed, so there is always laundry, grass to be cut among other things to do, but they get done eventually.

Overall, I continue to enjoy the training and thankful for all the support from my husband and friends. I know the next 5 months will continue to test my endurance, strength, and mental toughness.

Until next update....


No comments:

Post a Comment