Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Part I - TBT - Swimming

For the next 3 TBT (Throwback Thursdays), I will be sharing my background and thoughts of each of the 3 sports (swimming, biking, running) of which I am about to embark on for my first Olympic Triathlon distance (1500m swim, 25mile bike, 10K run) sharing my excitement and nervousness along the way.

The hardest, out-of-my comfortzone, most scared, least experienced, and thankfully the shortest leg of the race is how I would describe swimming. I do not remember when I learned swimming, but yet I do not remember not knowing how to swim. I knew a few tricks of the trade such as spitting in the goggles to help prevent fogging, but did not know how to build up endurance or improve my stroke by myself. I am thankful for swimming friends and even a stranger (who I shared a lane with one time at the YMCA pool) who have helped me improve my swimming. Swimming is all about technique - less drag and using your larger set of muscles. Each friend has helped improved my freestyle, so it does not feel like I have the brakes on while I swim. I had a long ways to go when I first started training. I still have improvements that are needed, but having several mile swims under my belt I am building up my confidence that I can complete the swim in the upcoming race.

My friend, Deanne, was a swimmer in college,  focused on my arms. I can still hear her telling me high elbows and do not bend the wrist.  Breaking old habits is not an easy task! Fortunately, with lots and lots of practicing I am slowly getting the hang of it.

Another friend, Dorothy, a swimmer in high school, focused on making sure I was stretched out as far as I could to prevent drag and my breathing. I was turning my head up so much I was basically looking at the ceiling in the pool. I still cannot breath every third stroke, but will continue to practice.

Finally, a stranger named David, took time to give me a few pointers as well - after chitchatting for a little bit and he knew I was working on my swim technique, so the pointers were welcomed. I ended up sharing a lane at the YMCA with him one day. For some people, sharing lanes is a bummer, but for me it gives me a chance to practice swimming in close quarters with a stranger - similar to races.  David noticed, I swam with my head up causing my back half to drag lower in the water. He suggested I use a pull buoy to see if I noticed a difference which I did.

Meeting David was the extra push I needed to sign up for my first Olympic distance triathlon. We made some smalltalk in the pool bonding over our lack of confidence in the swim. He had hired a coach to get some lessons and watched you tube videos. He had just finished his first triathlon and was looking forward to doing more. I asked him if had had done any off-road triathlons since I am a fan of racing in nature. He replied with no because he uses a wheelchair and not quite ready to tackle those obstacles. I was so impressed and inspired that he was doing triathlons! I had no excuses except my lack of confidence in my swim. Needless to say, I signed up for my race that day!

I am using the Garmin Beginning Olympic Triathlon training plan which has you swim 2 times a week working on your technique and endurance. Once summer let out, I started going to the YMCA pool in the early morning to make sure I did not have to wait for lanes because of swim lessons. Also I did not want my training to affect the summertime fun for my kids by spending every morning at the YMCA (although they do love the Y!)

The swim is in a marina. I have completed 2 sprint triathlons previously (although not recently) and swimming in open water did not scare me. I grew up swimming (playing) in lakes and rivers so I am comfortable in the environment. I plan to not start in a pack of swimmers, so hopefully I will not get kicked, can just stay relaxed, and hear Deanne's voice in my head telling me to keep my elbows high. This is my race against myself. I have nothing to prove to anyone, but just enjoy the race that I have trained for the last few months.  I have come a long way in this journey, but still have much to learn and improve.

Know of other tips that have helped you in the swim? I would love to hear them!


"When you put yourself on the line in a race and expose yourself to the unknown, you learn things about yourself that are very exciting."
- Doris Brown Heritage, pioneer in women's distance running



No comments:

Post a Comment