Pages

Friday, October 16, 2015

Ironman Louisville Race Recap: T2, The Run, The Finish

As I headed into T2, my friend, Connie, and her friend, Jennifer (and now my newest friend), were close to my running transition bag along with Erin. Erin and I head back to the changing tent to get ready for the marathon. She told me Ryan wanted to make sure I was fueling right so I would not bonk on the marathon. I felt pretty good besides my stomach, but tums seemed to be helping with that issue. I changed into my Team Ironman Foundation kit, added the rice cakes and tums to my back pocket and took some water that was in the changing area. I needed help with my fuel belt. The velcro was not sticking, so Erin got some medical tape to wrap around it. I got sunscreen again and then starting walking toward the run exit. 
Heading out for the run
I saw my crew and they were yelling that I was looking strong and I was ahead of schedule. Once I passed the exit, I started my watch to start the 4 minute run/1 minute walk. I wanted to not run any faster than 11 minute miles. Everything I read was that the race doesn't start until mile 18, so run conservatively. My crew caught up with me for the first 1 minute walk and chatted for a bit before I started running again. I was getting passed like nobodies business. I kept looking at my watch to make sure I stayed between 11-12minute/mile while running this early on.  It was a comfortable pace which was what I needed to be able to finish the marathon strong and to continue to enjoy the race. When I had my walk breaks, I would take a sip of my hydration and ate my rice cakes. The honey stingers and potatoes were not sounding good at all. At the aid stations, I just took water the first lap and walked for about 20-30sec while I drank it.

There were lots of cheering sections along the running route. It took me awhile to get used to people calling out my name since it was on my bib. I ran into my friend, Laura, again and we kept taking turns passing each other on the run. I also saw a few more friends that I had met while training and cheered for them. It was fun to have this camaraderie in the race. It did not matter how slow or fast you were going, but that you just kept moving forward encouraging each other.

When I was a mile or 2 from the turn around, I saw my friend, Maleah and her family. That was such a fun surprise! Gave her a quick hug and continued on my way. She told me another friend, Kat, was by the turn around and sure enough she was! So gave out another hug and ran with her for a little bit. I had thought about those two alot over the day. On my team shirts, I have squares for people that are survivors and the true heroes. Both Maleah and Kat are breast cancer survivors and true inspiration to enjoy life and all that it has to offer. It was great to see them out on the course. I ran into Maleah's family again and high fived her girls. A little bit down the course, I see Marian and her kids again, and my friend Meredith and her family.  I also saw Rennay and her sister a few times out on the course cheering for all their friends and fellow Landsharks. Seeing all these familiar faces kept me moving forward and enjoying the moment

As you come to the end of the first loop, you go right by the finish line, and the crowds are cheering you on like crazy. I got so teary then. Knowing even if I had to walk I was going to finish in time. I was going to reach my goal that I had trained so hard for. I saw my sherpas and passed off my hat and sunglasses as it was getting close to dark. My brother ran ahead a mile or two to cheer me again. When I met up with him, I gave him my fuel belt. I had stopped using my nutrition and drinks. Just the thought of trying to use them made me a bit nauseous. At the aid stations, I started taking water, chicken broth, and an orange. Every. single. one. - that was my combo that helped me get to the end. Aid stations were every mile so I never finished everything in the cup, but just kept a constant stream of things going in to keep my energy level up. As I was starting the second loop, I was feeling awesome. My legs were in autopilot. It was easier to run than walk, but the walking breaks were still needed since they used different muscles. After I passed the turn around point, I was passing lots of walkers. I kept feeling stronger and stronger. Then my friends, surprised me showing up in the dark to cheer me on in my last leg. I got a quick hug from everybody, a group picture, and got re-energized once again.

I never saw any mile markers until mile 22. I just wasn't looking for them. I felt good and just ran a comfortable pace. I never went faster than what I started out. I saw my brother again around mm23 and he told me Ryan was at mile 25. I couldn't believe I just had 3 miles left and still running strong. I met up with Ryan and facetime with Kaiya again. Telling her that we had made it. We were going to be Irongirls!

I ran to the crowds and it was incredible! To hear all the cheering and see 4th Street Live with the Finish Line and all the lights. There were several people coming in and I wanted to cross the finish line solo as did the others. I tried to soak it all in and give high fives. It went by so quickly! As soon as I crossed the finish, Erin was there with my medal. So much fun.

Erin - downtown Sherpa and medic

Erin knew where Emily and my dad, who had come down for the finish line, were, so I saw them. Then I saw Jason and Ryan on the other side. Headed over to get my finisher's hat and shirt and of course the finisher's photo. I was so cold, every part of my body ached. My brain couldn't decide if I was hungry or wanted to throw up. We walked to the convention center where Erin got me some ice for my legs and some chocolate milk. I tried eating, but wasn't quite ready. Walking was hard and painful.
The finish line living up to all the excitement
I had crossed the finish line a little after 10pm - 14 hours and 23 minutes! I thought I could do about 15 hours if I was having a good race. My run time was 5:07 averaging 11:44 min/mile. Ironically, this is the exact same time I ran my last marathon in 2002. I had bonked at mile 13 in that marathon. I had no idea about nutrition and proper fueling. When I finished that race, I never wanted to have that feeling again and that kept me on track for this race to ensure I was properly fueling myself. Even in a bad race, you learn something for future races.

 I am still in awe of what happened. The whole day was a blur of excitement. Prior to starting my training I had never swam more than 1 mile- let alone all of it freestyle or biked more than 30 miles. I am just a slow and steady swimmer, biker, and runner. I knew my weaknesses that I needed to work on in order to achieve the goal of crossing an Ironman finish line.  I made a plan, found a mentor, stayed consistent, and worked hard. If there is something in life you want to do, go do it. Set up a timeline, mini goals, and be persistent. There will be ups and downs, but life is more interesting in giving it a try instead of thinking you wish you would have tried.  Feel free to contact me if I could be some support in anyway or have questions.

Would I do an Ironman again? No. I am one and done. I would love to be someone's sherpa for sure! I loved every moment of training and race day. Training was way harder than race day. Training is where all the sacrifices come into play. I have no desire to go through all that training again. Was it worth it? Yes! Race day was magical and an experience I will never forget. I learned so much about myself and what I want in life through this experience. I am looking forward to the next adventure. It may not be as epic, but the journey is going to be just as fun!

Jumping for joy!

 
Thanks for all your love and support over the past 6 months. Monday was such a fun day to see all the facebook posts to relive Sunday all over again. I have been walking and feeling better everyday, but it is now time for some much needed rest and relaxation.

4 comments:

  1. Look at that jump!!! I'm impressed you could do that after the whole journey!
    I didn't realize there were stops every mile - that's great.
    One & done... you can say you did it though - all that matters!
    So amazing! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading all about this! You did amazing! I watched the finish line streaming online, and I am just in awe! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete