Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Spin Class at the YMCA

With less than four weeks until my first Olympic triathlon distance, I have been using a spin class at the YMCA to help prepare me for the biking portion of the race. It is definitely not a substitute for getting outside on my bike, but with 3 young kids it is an acceptable alternative to help prepare for biking 25miles.

The bikes are somewhat close together so if the class is not full, I try to find a bike not right next to someone, so I do not fling any sweat their way. This class makes me sweat worse than a horse. The spinning bikes have several adjustments from the saddle, handlebars, and the pedals. The saddle and handlebars have either numbers or letters so you can memorize the setting for next time. If it is your first time or you do not remember your setting, just ask the instructor for help. A proper fit on the bike is very important. You can either wear cycle shoes or just use the cages. I just use the cages and tighten them around my running shoes. The bike does not have odometer. This is nice because you pedal as led by the instructor and how you are feeling that day. You can easily adjust the resistance on the bike with the red knob.

With the lights off and fans on high, the class starts off with a flat, easy warm-up before, Cindy, the instructor of the class I take, leads us in a variety of hills, flats, and sprints. She does a good job of describing what kind of road we are biking on and how much resistance to use. Each song played we do a different type of biking from flat, fast sprints to slow incline. Between the songs we can catch a breath, a drink of water and wipe our sweat off. The bikes have 2 spots for water bottles on the handlebars.

Cindy reminds us to relax the arms and shoulders since spinning works the lower half. I imagine I am going to be hearing her voice when I am in the bike portion of my race making sure my elbows are in and arms relaxed. At the end of the class, she goes through a cool-down and stretching exercises.
This class is only 45minutes and is a great beginners class.

 There are several places that offers spin classes besides the Y - Get Fit 24/7 and Be Well Fitness and Rehab to name a few.

Cycling is a great way to get some cardio in a low-impact way whether you are just getting into exercise or need an alternative from running. Be sure to take a water bottle and a towel when you go. Take a buddy or come join me at the Y and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment