Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Ironman Race Recap: T1 and the Bike

I'm looking for my sherpas!
As I jogged into transition 1 (T1) with my wetsuit, I heard the announcer call out my number for the volunteers to grab my bag. As I got closer, I heard my sister-in-law (Erin), yelling for me who was volunteering as a medic too. She had come over to T1 area to get me ready for the bike. We head to the changing tent. She pulls out all my gear, opens my foil packets of the boiled potatoes to put in my tri top, and returns all my swimming stuff back into my bag. I washed out my mouth with some Listerine from swimming in the Ohio - you just never know. Erin had to take a picture to send to Ryan, Emily, and my brother who were by the swim exit still to show them I had already exited. I left the changing tent to go get some sunscreen. At the sunscreen tent, my friends volunteered and I still remembering getting hugs from Julie and Deanne and cheers from Maleah, Tanya, and Mackenzie. Julie and Deanne double teamed and got me all sun screened up!

Erin let me know my 3 race sherpas were on the right side as I left the bike transition. I ate some rice cakes as I headed to my bike. We had to walk our bikes out to the road upon which I saw Ryan, Emily, and Jason. I mounted my bike and headed out River Road. Shortly after mounting, I realize, my aero water bottle was in backwards, so I slowed down to fix it. River road is the flattest part of the course. Other bikers were flying by me. I wanted to pay attention to how I felt and just keep an easy cadence and stay above 15mph on the flats.
Leaving T1 and excited to see R, E, and J!

I had read the bike race doesn't start until mile 80, so just stay relax. My strategy for biking was to take a sip every 10-15 minutes, eat one of the following per hour: a whole package of chews, waffle, 2 potatoes, or 2 rice cakes. And I wanted to finish drinking a bottle per hour. Nutrition and pacing was key for me in this race. Failing either of those meant either a DNF or a race that would not be fun. Advice from Heath was to keep doing body checks, ride in aero position as much as possible, stand up to stretch the legs on the pedals, and move position every 20 minutes or so. I was able to follow through and enjoy the ride. I ended up only drinking about 5 bottles - 2 shorter than I should have, but ate most of my nutrition. I had a minor stomach ache, but TUMS was able to take of that.

I saw my cheer squad again at River Road and 42 right before starting the hilly sections and heading towards my neighborhood where I knew my family and neighbors were cheering for me. It is great having home court advantage - knowing the bike route and having a cheer squad.
My parents and kids on 42

My boys cheering with their signs

After passing my neighborhood, I was heading to 1694 which was one of the parts of the bike I was most concerned about. It is the out and back section of the course. There are long hills that you can go fast and long hills you need to climb. There's the turn around and an aid station. Everyone still has fresh legs and congestion is everywhere on this road. Often 3 riders across on both sides. Posts were made in the Ironman Louisville facegroup page about this road. Just take it easy, it is early on in the race and every year there are crashes is what they were saying. Unfortunately, this did not help, and upon heading back towards 42 there were at least 3 crashes with bicyclists on the ground. One wreck had at least 4 bicyclists. So scary. Fortunately, from what I gather post race, all the bicyclist involved in the crashes are recovery. I felt so blessed, my biking bubble did not get popped during this section and was looking forward to moving on towards the loop. I saw R, E, and J just before and after the turn around on 1694. Ryan was able to facetime my I Run 4 buddy - Kaiya and I got to say a quick hi to her which was so cool!

My I Run 4 buddy sporting the Team Net shirt all the way in Arizona!
I was not for sure where I was going to see my 3 race day sherpas again on the loop, but tried to keep an eye and ear out for them. I stopped at the aid station in front of Oldham County High School. I was going to stop and use the restroom there, but had no desire to waste my time waiting in a line of 7-8 people deep. I grabbed some water, fixed my drink, grabbed some potatoes and was back on my way. It was a fun ride through LaGrange with all the people and cheers. After that, we turned on a narrow country road with some challenging shorter hills. It  was still congested through here. Fortunately, I came across a single port-o-pot with only one waiting so I stopped. I was also able to refill my aero bar and grab nutrition from my bike bag under my seat.

Shortly after this stop, I came across some more familiar faces - Heath's wife, Jen, and my 3 sherpa gang cheering crazy.  I headed back on 42 for about 10 miles to start the second loop. I stopped at the same aid station to refuel and by passed my special needs bag. I just had a tube, CO2 cartridge and some nutrition which was not needed. As I went through Lagrange again, I heard my name which surprised me as I was not expecting anybody through this area so I was just cruising along. It ended up being friends from the Moms Run This Town - Marian and Harmony. Again it is always energizing to hear people cheer you on and call you by name.


My 3 race day sherpas that followed me all over: Crew Chief, Wingman, and Brother

The rest of the second loop went well and I just enjoyed riding - taking it easy on the uphill and enjoyed the downhill. By this time, the bicyclists had all spread out so it was easier biking. As I was heading back on L'Esprit, I saw a guy running on the road. I was thinking that was crazy - doesn't he know there is a race going on?! Well, it turned out to be my brother. He needed to get some miles in anyways. This made me laugh. Then I saw Emily and Ryan again shortly before turning onto 153. Before I knew it, I was heading back to Louisville on 42 with some headwind. I knew I needed to average at least 14mph so I just had an easy cadence heading back to rest up for the run. Again, I passed by my neighborhood with my family and friends cheering. Also I heard and recognized a few more faces along the route coming back which was a great morale booster fighting the headwind.

Thumbs up for the race photogs
Once I got onto River Road, the road was pothole heaven. I could not wait to get off my bike. The pavement was so rough. It was a beautiful view, though, along the river and seeing downtown. I was still in disbelief that I was almost done with part 2 of the race - biking the farthest I had ever biked - 112 miles!


Taking my bike to the bike catchers
I dismounted (talked to the volunteer there saying I was so happy I did not fall over unclipping!) , handed off my bike to the bike catchers, took my cycling shoes off to run easier. My legs still felt great! I was so excited. I heard my cheer squad and they said I was still ahead of schedule and was going to be able to finish before the cut-off.

During the bike I saw several people I had trained with and was cheering for them. My friend, Laura, and I were playing tag for much of the race which past the time. If one of us stopped at an aid station, the other caught up and would get passed again.

Running into T2
Bike stats: 15.37 mph, 7 hours 17 minutes with 3 stops. My goal was to average 15 mph and if needed - 14mph was a good pace to save legs for the run. My last long ride - 109 miles, I averaged just over 14 mph and I was exhausted, so I was ecstatic to have 15 mph! The volunteers were great. They yelled out what they had for us and willing to help us in any way.

Coming up - T2, the run, and the dramatic finish!

(Race Week Recap, Swimming Recap)

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds like it went so smoothly so far... that's great! I didn't realize you ate so much on the bike ride but I guess you have to to have the energy for the whole day. So interesting. Love reading your experience

    ReplyDelete