Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Livestrong Program at the YMCA

Today was a graduation day for me. I graduated from the LiveSTRONG program at the YMCA!

This free program is for cancer survivors. The whole family is able to enjoy the Y's amenities for those 3 months for free. Since it is a free program, the YMCA has annual fundraisers to help keep this program free. The Greater Louisville YMCA has several branches to choose from for the program. Fortunately, the Y closest to me had times that fit in with my schedule: every Tuesday/Thursday for 90 min in the morning.

The program is 12 weeks and focuses on cardio, strength, and flexibility. It starts where you are fitnesswise and works towards your goals.  Every cancer patient has their own unique journey and recovery story. This program helps address the weaker areas to "Recover Strong" as they have as the slogan on the back of the shirts. I was fortunate enough to be able to start the program a month after my surgery. Having only surgery and already a runner, I knew I was ok in the cardio area, but needed help in strength and in the flexibility - especially my neck area.

The first two times you meet with the Livestrong coordinator are pretty casual. You get to know one another, share your story, and  might be able to meet a few of the other participants. You also have pre-assessements that measure your resting HR, cardio during a 6 min walk with post HR check, balance test, some flexibility testing, and percent body fat.

Our typical meetups including waiting for everyone to arrive and then start some cardio. We all did 30 minutes, but this could be less if needed. We had treadmill, elliptical, cycling, and rowing to choose from each time. Once the cardio was over, we headed to the strength component. This was individually based. We all started with the machines that our coordinator help set up the right starting weights and correct positioning for the machine. As we moved along in the program, Kate, our coordinator, offered up some additional strength training exercises that would help meet our goal. I was interested in the free weights and TRX, so I was able to get some instructions and tips on that area to continue building my strength after the program. Once we finished strength training, we stretched. This is really where I made some great headway with the flexibility in my neck.

Kate was there to help, but it was really us that had to put in the effort and dedication to reach our goals. My goals were to be able to swim - which meant I had  my mobility back in my neck and to be a stronger runner than before. I have been able to swim a couple of times, so that goal was met. My neck is definitely sore after the swims, but I can do it. Based on my post assessments (the same as the pre-asessments), I am stronger than I was. I gained 4lbs of muscles. My 1 rep max on both my chest press and leg press both increased significantly. I can already tell a difference in my running on the trails. My arms feel stronger and my legs can endure longer.

I am thankful I was able to participate in such a great program. Yes, there were times I did not want to go, so it was nice to have someone to meet there excited to see you and how you were progressing. Meeting up with other cancer survivors and hearing their journeys was also inspiring.

If you or someone you know is a cancer survivor, make sure you find a Livestrong program or something similar to participate. My mom, a 5 year colon cancer survivor, participated in a similar program. She had it all during treatment: surgery, radiation, and chemo! Her program introduced her to a gym as she was never a gym goer and made her so much stronger. She continues to participate in regular classes now. If you have any questions or think I could help in some way, please shoot me a message. Going through cancer and recovery is not easy, but having an ever growing support group can only make you that much more stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment