Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Gardening 101




 Isn't that the truth? I struggle with nutrition. I get by, but know I have so much to improve.

One way to eat healthy is to have your own garden. Nothing like eating some fresh vegetables and fruits.There is a garden design for just about any budget and space!

Here are a few I have tried:
Container Gardening - I did this when I lived in an apartment with herbs, tomatoes, and peppers.I had the containers on my patio. I did have to fight squirrels off.

Square-foot Gardening - Buying a home and having kids, I wanted something a little more permanent so my husband built 2 raised beds for us. I read and used Mel Bartholomew's book, Square Foot Gardening as guide when planting. 

Strawbale Gardening - We moved from the home that had the raised beds, but I still wanted a garden. My brother introduced me to strawbale gardening. He tried it for the first time last year and was successful, so I am trying it this year. I bought Joel Karsten's book so I would know what to do.  So far it has been pretty easy. My kids have enjoyed helping. The strawbale garden needs more water than the square foot garden, but there should be less weeding. We planted a variety of vegetables and fruits (tomatoes, peppers, squashes, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, herbs, arugula, carrots, strawberries) to see what works best. You can even plant in the side of the bale!

There are community gardens in the area too if you prefer not having it on your property. Blackacre also has space to rent for your garden. 

If you decide gardening is not for you, there are plenty of farmer's markets in the area for fresh produce to keep your nutrition in check throughout the week!

Progress of our garden so far:
10 bales for the garden

Bales layout with tarp to keep weeds out

Rooster planting with me. The soaker hose in place for easy water

All planted. Now the waiting begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment