Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Race Report: Tri-Cap Mud Slinger Trail Run

Where did November go??? I imagine you are thinking the same thing with Christmas just around the corner!

Last month, I  finished the Tri-Cap Mud Slinger Trail Half Marathon. This race is held in Ferninand State Forest in southern Indiana held typically on one of the first or second Sundays in November. They also offered a trail 6K.The funds raised from the race benefit Tri-Cap programs helping the less fortunate in the area. The half marathon was $50 if you signed up early and $30 for the 6K.

Since it was a late start at 10am, I picked up the packet race morning with no problem. It was a fairly laid back, friendly race - with just over 50 finishers for the 13.1m trail run and over 100 finishers for the 6K. My brother was also running the half while my nephew and sister-in-law ran the 6K. The race started on the road for about a mile before turning on the trail to run. Each race was a loop in the forest. The half marathon ran the 6K route backwards at the end of the race.

Race swag
Once I read "If you are looking up, you are going down," about trail running. That fit this race to a T.  As you could expect being a trail run, there were plenty of hills, slippery leaves, holes, roots, rocks, creeks to maneuver through. This year the course was marked with spray paint on the ground - aka the leaves. For the most part, it was easy to follow. Since I'm a mid-pack runner, there were one or two places that the marks were almost gone from the previous runners. Fortunately, I could almost always see a runner in front of me. I saw several slip while running and a few almost take a wrong turn, but no serious injuries occurred from the falls. I took a few good falls when I found some holes covered by the leaves as well. There were a couple rugged climbs that were slippery due to the leaves and rocks, but that is what makes trail races interesting.

Unfortunately, my phone died midrace so I was not able to get any pictures, but the race's Facebook page posted some. You can get an idea of the course from those. 

Overall, this was a fun race and great for the beginner or experienced trail runner. There were plenty of water stops along the way with oranges so I did not carry my own water. At the end of the race, there was chili and hot dogs. Those did not appeal to me after running so I just stuck with the oranges and water. Instead of medals and t-shirts, they gave out stocking caps and pullover shirts which was great.

 Trail running is a different experience from road running and has a unique vibe that I like. I highly recommended trying some out with a friend the next time you go running.

Until next time, have fun finding your fit in Louisville. 



2 comments: