Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

IMLOU 2015 Preparation

So as I posted a few weeks ago that this year's posts will be fewer with updates on my progress towards Ironman Louisville. So here's a brief update on where I am 9 months (9 months!) away from the race.

After volunteering at last year's event, I have been reading, listening to podcasts, and asking lots of questions about moving up to the long distance triathlons. It's been really fun reading other's journey towards becoming an Ironman. Everyone's journey has been different with unique obstacles to overcome and no doubt mine will have its share of up and downs as I test the limits I can push my body.

Right now, the biggest things  I am FOCUSing on: (Focus is my one word for 2015)
Not getting burned out or stressed out with my 'A' race far away - keep fitness fun 
  • Meeting up with friends to run and swim (shoot me an e-mail if you want to join me!)
  • Have a few fun races planned such as The Frigid (4 hour orienteering race) this weekend.
 Pick weak areas to work on 
  • Swimming techniques  - Everything I've read and tips from others suggests hiring a swim coach. So last Fall, I bought 4 swim lessons. I still have 2 more lessons to go, but it has proven to be a great investment. I am gaining more confidence in my swim.
  • Biking techniques- Also getting a bike fit was highly recommended. I was recommended a great bike fitter who could probably fit bikes in his sleep. I now have a fitted road bike with aero bars that I am adjusting too. I'm learning how to improve my biking with some one legged drills. These drills seem to slow down time!
Learn as much as I can about nutrition
  •  Reading, asking lots of questions, reading, and repeat. I know nutrition and hydration is one of my weakest areas so really trying to work hard in this area. Making sure I stay hydrated to avoid headaches and migraines which I easily get anyways. Trying to refuel after a working out within that 30 minute window.  Also trying to eat more frequently throughout the day. 
  • Researching different ways to stay fueled during races so I will be ready to practice these when mileage picks up.

Strength and core exercises
  • Several of the ironman books I have read have functional strength suggestions and stretches which are easy to fit into my schedule
  • Fitting in a group class makes it more fun - such as Insanity when I can make it or a class at the YMCA. 
  • Strength and Conditioning videos by Mike Hermanson - professional triathlete - recently discovered these and learning lots from professionals in the sport.
So that's where I am at now. Thanks for the encouragement and support so far.
It's really appreciated! Some days it hasn't really sit in that I'm training for an IRONMAN! Other days it has and I think uh, oh! 
Here's the link (Team Ironman Foundation) again if you would like to support me in achieving my fundraising goals too.

3 comments:

  1. I volunteer there every year... I love to know when people take the challenge of becoming an Ironman themselves.. I'll be there cheering you on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I remembering reading your post about it last fall. Let me know where you volunteer this year!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete