Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

4 Months Until Ironman Update



Week 7 almost done -  47 days in training -  only 4 months left until the big test.
Since I've started training, I've swam over 12 miles, biked over 500 miles and ran just over 100 miles. That is over 600 miles logged with my body as the engine over those distances. It is crazy to think about that and to think how much more intense the training is yet to come - and I am only looking to finish - under the 17 hour deadline.


Since the last update, I had another practice swim in open water with my wetsuit. It was at the same place. My heart rate slowed down faster than last time, so slowly getting comfortable with open water swims in the wetsuit. I managed to swallow water during the swim making me cough which was good practice on staying calm until I was able to back going again. I still need to work on my sighting, but feeling good about my swim. Currently, I am swimming three times a week between 1-1.5miles each time with drills, warm-ups, cool-downs. Each workout is building my confidence up to enjoy swimming even more.

Constuction Zone at the Parklands
The bike is another story. When I started this journey, I was thinking swimming was going to be my weakest event. Now that I am in the journey, the bike needs alot more work. With the course being full of rolling hills and more hills, I need to continue to build up leg strength and endurance. My longest bike ride so far is 52 miles, but mostly flat. I even got a flat tire, plastic bag caught in the chain, and left my bag under the seat unzipped. Needless to say, I am slowly learning by mistakes on how to improve my biking. However, we saw deer, turtles, and a turkey along the route. The training for the bike has started to pick up some hill training and speed intensity workouts which will help me prepare for the hills. I have enjoyed the few group rides I have been able to go on - although I do not have a good track record - a minor wrecked and flat tire. (So who wants to join me on my next ride?) It has been fun meeting new people and getting to know who they are and how they got into biking - plus they helped me change my tire - and hopefully I can help them out in the near future. I am learning to break the bike into 15 minute sections to eat, drink, move around, and do a mental check to stay focus. Currently for biking I ride just over an hour for my foundations rides and between 3-4 hours on my long rides.

Recovery run with my kids and one of my best friends
The run. Nothing like saving the best for last. Running is my washing machine for my mind. It clears my head as I think about school ending for my oldest this week and summer beginning. I think about the whys of doing an ironman and the sacrifice my family has to do. Thinking about how all the training is going to be worth it when I cross the finish line in October.  The training has some fartleks added and hill training to continue to build base and strength. Currently, I run about 40-45 minutes a few times a week and the long run is 90-100minutes. Having been a runner for so long, these workouts are fun. I am slowly seeing improvement in my times. Plus the local Moms Run This Town group has monthly running challenges which have been a fun addition to my training.

About once a week I have a brick workout where I bike and then run immediately afterwards. These workouts are going well. The bike seems to warm up my legs for the run as I seem to have a slightly faster pace for these. These workouts have been around an hour ride followed by 30-40 minute run.

It is good to not always take training so seriously.

Overall I am still staying mostly injury free. I sliced my finger a few weeks back and opted to skip a swim workout which was my first workout I skipped. I replaced it with an insanity class to remind myself that I should be doing strength and core workouts too. A great workout to showcase my weaknesses.  With venturing into longer bike rides, I am having issues with my left wrist, hand, and fingers. It is similar to carpal tunnel - nothing major yet, but just aware of it. Just more time in the saddle and switching up the grip hopefully will help. 

In the weeks ahead, I will be figuring out how to balance all this with the three kids at home. I am thankful for friends and family who have offered to watch them for me. It is much appreciative. I have a friend who continues to be an excellent mentor along this journey - answering all my questions and has valuable tips and advice. My dad has been my partner in open water swimming  - taking turns in the kayak and swimming as he trains for his first Olympic triathlon.  It is starting to be the dog days of summer with the heat, so early mornings continue to be my best friend to get the workouts done. This makes for lazy afternoons which are always welcomed in my book.

Until next time, thanks again for the support. Don't forget about your dreams and goals - the time is going to pass anyways, might as well be shooting for something.


No comments:

Post a Comment