Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Run, Kat, Run: Urban Bourbon Half Marathon October 2014




My last mini-marathon I swore it would be the last.  It was awful.  I never officially checked my time because it was so awful.  I was 30 pounds heavier, eating food that came out of a drive thru window, and not training to the level that I should.  I learned my lesson, oh boy did I learn my lesson.  I vowed to either change and train right or not do another race.

After losing weight I decided that I would give it another try.  I dedicated myself to training like I knew I should and signed up for the Urban Bourbon. 

pre-race
Training was fun!  I enjoy running, I enjoy cycling, and I enjoy being active so that was not a problem but finding time to do all those was the problem.  I started training about 10 weeks out and ran 2-3 times a week for shorter runs then once a week for my long runs.  Long runs are my favorite!  I know I complain while I’m running but I enjoy it. 

I missed one long run because of being out of town but otherwise I made all my long run dates!  And through the training I continually was impressed by my ability and my time on training runs.  But I wasn’t convinced that all that training “greatness” would surface on race day!

We lined up for the race, headphones in, garmins on, ready to rock it!  I was lined up near the 2:45 pace group, not at all where I wanted to be.  My first and best half marathon was 2:24 and my goal was to be under 2:24, even if it were 2:23.  I quickly passed the 2:45 pacer, then the 2:30 and I was feeling good.  Up ahead my running partner saw the 2:20 pacer and said “there’s your pacer” to which my reply was “there’s OUR pacer”.  We caught up and stayed in front of the 2:20 pacer for a long time.  Eventually, my partner and I got separated on the hills of Cherokee.  But I just turned my music up and kept going all the while the 2:20 pacer was still behind me.  And I was feeling good!  I couldn’t believe that I was on pace to finish under my goal. 

My folks and my Granny came to see my about mile 8, my kids and in-laws came around mile 11, and then at the finish line.  I cry every time people come see me, it makes me so happy.  Try running and crying at the same time.  I always get choked up when I see my kiddos and I get a burst of energy from their hugs and high fives. 

Around mile 11 I started getting cramps in my calves so I slowed down but kept going.  Just keep swimming, just keep swimming was going through my head.  I saw the finish line and tears welled up in my eyes, I was just about done!  I turned it up and headed to the line.  I crossed the line at 2:19 and my chip time was 2:17:11!  I was thrilled!  So proud of myself and my dedication to training correctly.  Of course, now I’ve got like three more half marathons scheduled to do in the near future and hopefully a marathon will happen sooner rather than later. 

post-race
Kathy Kingsbury

4 comments:

  1. I wish I knew you were running it - I was passing out medals - I met so many of my blog buddies at the finish line - it was great fun there!
    Congrats on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job Kathy! I lined up with the 2:45 pacer, and stayed around that the whole time. It's amazing the difference it makes when you're prepared for it. What other half's do you have planned?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a great race! I was so jealous to be spectating instead of running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! I plan on running "Run the Bluegrass" in Lexington in March, then the Mini-Marathon in April, and I'm hoping to run a half sometime in Dec but those details haven't been worked out yet.

    ReplyDelete