Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Running with Inexperience - Maleah's Story

I am not a runner.  I am not an athlete.  I run with inexperience and I just completed my first half marathon.

My journey began 2-1/2 years ago.  I found myself winded from running up the stairs with a basket full of laundry.  I had two kids in two years and worked full time.  I was exhausted and out of shape.  I needed to exercise and I had no free time to do it in.  So I started the program 'Couch to 5k'.  I ran on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  My husband joined me and ran opposite of me on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  We woke up early and ran through our neighborhood.  One parent was running while the other one got the girls up and fed them breakfast.  I ran my first 5k 12 weeks later.  I ended up with an injury at 10 weeks and finished the program with an inflamed sciatic nerve.  I quit exercising completely after that and nursed my injury.

Last summer, it was my husband's turn to come up with a crazy exercise plan. Together we started P90x.  We made it 45 of the 90 days.  The program was amazing! It kicked my butt (in a good way).  I may not have finished the full program but I did get stronger.  A couple months later I ran my second 5k without injury and it actually felt good to run.  That is when I made my new goal - 13.1!

I spent the months of October-December running 1-2 times a week, anywhere from 2-3 miles each time.  I also did Yoga once a week to help with flexibility.  I am not flexible at all by nature.  In January, I started training with my friend (and your wonderful blog host) Jeanette.  I committed myself to working out 6 days a week.  My basic plan included 2 shorts runs per week (2-4 miles) and one long run on the weekend.  I added in interval training or an exercise bike plus Yoga each week.  I had a lot of firsts during my training. Running in the rain, the slush, and the snow.  Running longer distances than I ever had before.

In March, I completed my first long distance race, the Papa John's 10-miler, with my friend Jeanette by my side.  It was a great, albeit challenging course through Iroquois Park.  We used it as a practice race so that I could get a feel for the water stations and eating carbs mid-race.

On April 19th, I completed my goal and ran 13.1 miles at the Kentucky Derby Festival Half Marathon.  The weather was amazing.  The course was interesting, weaving through downtown Louisville and running inside Churchill Downs.  The crowd cheering along the way was very motivating.  It felt so good finishing such a long race and accomplishing such a big goal.  I hope to do it again next year!
Thanks, Maleah for sharing your story. You did a great job training and it showed in the races! 

No comments:

Post a Comment