Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Race Report: Backside Trail Half Marathon - April 27, 2014

pre-race
For the first time, I ran two half marathons in back-to-back weekends. I'm just a "run for fun and sign up for races to stay motivated" type person, so I was looking forward to this challenge. About the only thing the two races had in common was the distance. (The Derby Festival Half Marathon review was posted last week if you are interested.) My brother and husband joined me in this race. It is always more fun racing with people you know!

Packet pick-up was easy. We picked up the packet the evening before at Quest Outdoors in St. Matthews, but it would have been just as easy picking it up race day. We had to sign-in race day so they could cross us off as we finished to make sure everyone who started the race finished.

The Backside Trail Half/Marathon had about 130 people racing as compared to the 15,000+ people running last weekend. We started near the basketball courts at Seneca - giving plenty of time to get in your pace before heading into trails through Seneca and Cherokee Parks. Most of the trails were single tracks, so if you wanted to pass you just told the person in front, "On your left." Pink ribbons and pink paint on the ground helped guide you on the trails which was helpful. There were about 4 water stops with food, but they recommended running with  a hydration pack. I ran with my camel pack with water and a Larabar. The trails were dry and well maintained by the KYMBA (I hear, so thanks for keeping them up!). I was impressed with a few of the sections with steep rocks and roots thinking that mountain bikers go through there! There was one creek crossing, a few stairs, and a log or two to cross over which is always fun in trail runs.

 I could tell a big difference in this race wearing trail shoes versus trainers I had worn in the Siltstone half back in November. The traction was good and I had less ankle turns. I still had my normal toe blisters and blood blisters on my feet though from the hills on the course.

running down the finish line
Unfortunately, there were no mile markers, and my Garmin, as expected, was not very good in the woods. With that being said, I thought I had 3 more miles to go until I realized it was more like 300yards and I could see the finish line. This made sense to me know why I felt like mile 8 and 9 were so long - made me laugh.  After crossing the finishing line, I grabbed my finisher's medal and some water. They had a table where you could pick a piece of gear - from smartwool socks to visors to water bottles which was pretty awesome to have!

A thing I like about trail racing is the people I meet while running. I tend to have more conversations with them. A met a guy who completed an ironman back in 2011, one that this was his first trail race and first half marathon, and another one that ran with a picture of his wife and daughter on his camel back.

My next adventure is in May. It will be my first adventure race. It is a 4 hour race with orienteering, biking, canoeing, and running. I'm pretty excited to be teamed up with my husband, so I guess I better get the dust off my mountain bike now that I have these half marathons behind me.

Until the next race report, have fun training and getting your 'fit in'.

No comments:

Post a Comment