Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Laura's Fitness Journey

As I settle into my couch, feet propped up, watching the fitness gurus of our 2014 winter Olympics, it's pretty humbling.  Their dedication and guts- seriously could not stomach skiing down the side of a mountain- put in perspective my wavering journey of fitness.  I am constantly inspired by the stories of these athletes and many others who seek and push the limits of their bodies.  I want to push myself but only do so on occasion (in FAR less risky venues).  But my fitness journey is more of a ebb and flow of making excuses mixed with inspired goal-setting... in the recent years, it has been marked by signing up for road races only to rediscover my internal motivation.

FIT in childhood-
Exercise began, for me, as it does for many- playing childhood sports.  Starting in 3rd grade, I joined the basketball team at my small grade school.  The sport stuck and I competed through my high school graduation. Though my high school basketball career left much to be desired, I regained my love for the sport in late night college pick-up games- and I finally appreciated the exercise it provided (since gaining my freshman 20).  Throughout my elementary-high school years, I experimented with volleyball, soccer, then golf, and finally, track & field.  It wasn't an anomally to be a 3-season athlete at my alumnus, Mater Dei, in Evansville, Indiana.  

But, I never really thought about sports in terms of a workout, getting fit or getting to check off my exercise time.  Sports were just an avenue to stay occupied and a fun social outlet.  Fortunately, that outlet continued to be an option through college: I was elated and shocked to receive a scholarship at Murray State University, to throw discus and javelin for the next four years.

FIT in college-
This was when exercise turned into a job...track & field was fun, don't get me wrong, but daily and sometimes twice daily practice helped for it's spark to get dimmer over time.  Competing at Murray State, a smaller Division 1 University, I was privileged to get the opportunity to compete and get paid doing so.  I got a 4-year ticket to motivational training, pre-planned workouts, and LOTS of strength training- though I didn't appreciate it then. I realized I didn't have the passion that others shared, my (future) husband included.  He'd been recruited to pole vault at MSU the same year, only to find out that the men's team was cut as a scholarship program, due to Title IV...so, in essence, I took his scholarship ;).  As my 4 years continued, I told him he deserved it more- he wanted to compete. I just wanted the tuition assistance and, occasionally, to work out. I was also increasingly self conscious about the muscle I was gaining from heavy weight lifting.  Bulking up didn't exactly make me feel feminine.

So, that's where my love/hate relationship began. I felt less than feminine building muscle and gained my freshman 15 fast, before the end of my 1st semester.  I'd never really weighed myself prior to college and didn't think about what I ate, until then.  All of the sudden, I realized something was wrong with my body.  It was changing and I needed to actually exercise outside of track and field- but didn't know how.  All I knew was that the distance runners looked pretty slim and in shape.  So, I signed up for my first mini-marathon- 13.1 miles and the training it required couldn't hurt.  I signed up my sophomore year in college, ran it in a little over 2 hours, and thought, this running thing isn't as awful as I thought. Unfortunately, my coach wasn't happy with me when he found out about my min- it compromised my thrower's training, he said.  So, I found other ways to work out, to hopefully slim down my bulky arms- I continued to experiment with yoga, various fitness classes, and biking to and from classes. 

FIT in Adulthood

9 years, 2 children (and one on the way), and jobs/motherhood/moving in between, I'm learning more from fitness than I ever thought possible.  Fitness and exercise are no longer about controlling me with a checklist or a begrudging "job." It's about taking ownership of my journey.  Fitness continues to teach me that:

1. It's a PRIVILEGE what my body can do- I know there are many people who only wish for the God-given abilities that my legs and arms provide each day. Exercise is expressing my gratitude for this GIFT, and to continue to improve it, rather than remain stagnant.

2. Fitness benefits are far BEYOND a "better" body," instead reaching my soul in ways that therapy, shopping, or happy hours cannot provide (although a good glass of wine is second ;). Exercise is, without a doubt, the best stress reliever out there. Coupled with a scenic trail or natural setting, I get time in God's creation, to talk with Him about whatever's plaguing my mind while moving my legs.  I could expand on this benefit for days, but I'll spare you.

3.  Fitness is a calling, a desire to "keep our earthly vessels holy," and a must in motherhood in my opinion- to model for our children the value of caring for ourselves and for our children's children- that we might be healthy enough one day to enjoy our time with them.  AND, exercise is the ULTIMATE way to engage with our loved ones, playfully, outdoors, far away from screens, noise, and encouraging our loved ones to improve themselves, rather than sit idly.

My journey continues, as baby #3 is due one month from now. I'm feeling 100% better at 36 weeks than with my first 2, pushing myself to keep up my exercise this time around.  Crazy as it sounds, I'm craving my first trail run post pardum, but that time will come eventually.  My hope for now is that, in adopting a lifestyle of fitness, my children will as well.  And one day, when I'm making excuses and feeling lazy, they'll take me by the hand and lead me down the trails that we've traveled so many times together already.

No comments:

Post a Comment