Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A favorite run and a homemade treat

I am gearing up to run the Papa John's 10miler with my friend, Maleah, this Saturday, so thought I would write about one of my favorite places to run that is close to home and a recipe for homemade Larabars for a change of pace.
Stream at Creasy Mahan Nature Preserve

I really enjoy trail running so living near Creasy Mahan Nature Preserve tops my list of places to run. Trail running is easier on my legs, I breathe easier without the cars and trucks driving by, and gives me a mini break from reality being surrounded by nature. Just the other day on my run, I was within 10 feet of a deer and the stream, birds, woodpeckers were my music. The trails are easy to follow and most always cleared. In the summertime, you will often find yourself in a cobweb or two. The nature preserve has a playground, so feel free to bring a picnic and the kids for hiking too.

I recently tried my hand at making Larabars and looking forward to trying more variations. It is a no bake recipe and took about 10 minutes since I had to pit the dates.
I found the recipe on 100 Days of Real Foods where I make several of her other recipes including whole chicken in the slow cooker which is one of our favorites.

Cashew Cookie Larabar
  • 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • ¼ cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon water
  1. Combine dates, cashews, peanut butter and water in a food processor and puree until mixture starts to stick together. Add a little more water if necessary to help mixture come together.
  2. Pick up date mixture and using your hands work to squeeze it together into one big clump. Mash it down on a cutting board or sheet of wax paper to form into one even rectangle shape using the sides of your hands (or a knife) to make the edges straight.
  3. Slice into 12 even squares. For best results store in the fridge, although bars can be kept at room temperature.

My 3 kids ate them up! My middle son says he does not like peanut butter, but still ate these. I could not get them to try the dates prior to making these so a win-win for me and the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment