Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Cucumbers

Cucumbers are easy to grow and healthy for you, so thought I would try for the first time this year in my garden. I am not a fan of just eating sliced cucumbers, but enjoy them in salads and pickles.

Cucumbers are a great source for vitamin C and K. You can read more about benefits of cucumbers on Care2 or World's Healthiest Foods. If you are like me and prefer not to eat them plain, it is definitely worth the time to experiment with recipes to find ways you can enjoy them.

Here are my 2 favorite (super quick and easy!) recipes using cucumbers -

Quick Pickle Recipe 
(This recipe is requested by several of my family and friends for me to bring to cook-outs.)
from Rachael Ray

Ingredients
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 rounded teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon salt
1 clove cracked garlic
1 teaspoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves, chopped or snipped
1 bay leaf
4 kirby cucumbers, cut into 1-inch slices on an angle (I've used other kinds of cucumbers and it has worked just fine)

Directions

Heat small saucepan over medium high heat. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, salt, and garlic to the pan and cook until it begins to simmer and sugar dissolves. Toss the dill, bay leaf, and sliced cucumbers together in a heat-proof bowl. Pour the simmering liquid over the cucumbers and stir to evenly coat. Allow to cool to room temperature or chill before serving.

from Food Network
 
Ingredients
2 tomatoes, cored and sliced
1 1/2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Directions
In medium bowl combine tomatoes and cucumber. Season with salt and pepper. Add vinegar and olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle on feta and serve.
 
 
What are your favorite ways to eat a cucumber?

1 comment:

  1. Cucumbers - I love... they don't love me. I'm a burping mess every time I eat them. I have been adding them into smoothies lately though :)

    ReplyDelete