Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Part III: TBT - Running

The last TBT (Throwback Thursdays) for this series. I have been sharing my background and thoughts of each of the 3 sports (swimming, biking, running) of which I am about to embark on for my first Olympic Triathlon distance (1500m swim, 25mile bike, 10K run) sharing my excitement and nervousness along the way. Part I: Swimming, Part II: Biking 

The final leg of the race happens to be my favorite. There are no worries about drowning  or falling off a bike. Running also happens to be the one I have been practicing for over 20 years and had my shares of ups and downs with it.
  I started off in junior high track. I ran the 800 and 1600 and an occasional relay. I was not the fastest on the team, but was respectable - not that that matters. I enjoyed being able to run with a friend during practice and basically just talk. I found this true for high school cross country as well. I met some of my best friends in high school on my cross country team who are still some of my very good friends. What other sport can you practice and talk with your friends? I dealt with your typical injuries as well - twisted ankles and shin splints, but I also got diagnosed with exercise induced asthma, so racing became less fun. I still enjoyed running, but not to the point that my asthma started to bother me. 
 I learned how to control my asthma and still ran for fun while in college. Running was a great stress reliever. I would meet with friends early in the morning or at night to go for a run. We cared more about distance than time so we ran slow enough that we could still talk. I occasionally did a race or two until I got the crazy idea to do some half marathons with my dad (who had not been running) and eventually two marathons. Training for these races gave my dad and I time to hang out while running and catch up since I came home for some of the long runs. 
 Jump ahead to my first real jobs, I found myself running with some co-workers at lunchtime which was another unique bonding experience! Have you ever run with your boss before? Makes for some interesting conversations.
  This is why I call myself a social runner - I run with friends, family, and co-workers. For me, running is an outlet. It gives me time to myself, but also with friends. You do not have the distraction of technology or kids interrupting. I am more of an introvert, but running makes me extroverted by being comfortable in it. I love running with others - especially those who are training for a race they thought they would never be able to run. I do not consider myself a fast runner. I am not out there looking for speed, although I do enjoy the occasional PRs now and then. I am out there looking for new challenges and adventures, and running helps me be prepared both mentally and physically. Have you ever run on a treadmill? That really helps build your mental strength!
  While training for this triathlon, I have had issues with my breathing again. I have had issues in the past after high school but they were so few and far between that I just ignored them. But I decided not to ignore them since it was happening more frequently (and I have kids now...).  I take an inhaler now before my workouts which has helped tremendously. It feels great to not wheeze and be able to get a full breath when I need one. 
  This triathlon is about me attaining my goal - finishing an Olympic Triathlon Distance! I maybe slow, but plan on being steady and finishing strong. Being amazed that I can cover over 30miles by swimming, biking, and running. Training for the race has been a 12 week journey of ups and downs and of learning how to balance 3 sports, becoming a better swimmer and biker which ultimate helps me have more energy for my kids. It provides an example for my kids that with dedication and hard work you can reach your goals. It does not matter what size or shape you are, you can train your body to go the distance. You have to start with believing in yourself!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment