Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Ironman Volunteer - August 23, 2014

For the first time, I volunteered with Ironman Louisville in the gear and bike check-in on Saturday. It was a fantastic experience even in the rainstorm. I got to interact with the athletes taking on this huge athletic endeavor. I took their bags while helping to find their place for their bikes. Then we went over to the gear bags section to drop those off and answer any questions or direct them to more knowledgeable people. I had about 10-15minutes with each athlete to talk with them.  It was interesting to hear their stories from the first timers to the veterans. I talked with a first timer who was excited and so nervous it was hard for her to carry on a conversation. I helped another guy from New York that had to rent a bike because the airline lost his bike! I met a husband and wife completing the race together. It was amazing interacting with these athletes.

There were tons of opportunities available to volunteer for the Ironman starting midweek doing a variety of jobs. It's is incredible how much work and preparation goes on to put on such an event. For my particular position I needed to be there a few minutes early so they could brief us on what we needed to do and get our volunteer t-shirt. My volunteer job was pretty easy and simple. The 3.5hour shift flew by. I look forward to helping out another race soon.

Cheering the bikers along US42


2 comments:

  1. You'll have to check out my post from Monday about volunteering :) I was in the women's tent helping with them changing - it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool!! Changing tents, I heard, is one of the hardest yet most rewarding volunteering positions. I loved the interaction with the athletes too!

      Delete