Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

8 Tips on Joining a Gym


January is a great time to join or try a gym out. You might be ready for something different or have new resolutions to get fit. Typically in January, gyms are running specials such as no join fees so it is a great time to go visit some gyms. You might even find that joining a yoga studio, spin studio, rockclimbing gym, aquatic center, crossfit, Louisville Turners, or just hiring a specific coach is a better fit than your standard gym. There are lots of unique fitness centers here in Louisville so you are sure to find something that fits your niche. 

I am no expert in joining gyms, but having researched and joined several in my lifetime by answering these 8 questions has helped me to find places that suited me. Hopefully it will help you out too!

  1. What type of fitness do you like to do? Cardio, swimming, classes, free weights etc? If you do not like to swim or take classes no need to have a gym with those extras, right? Or if you just like classes, belonging to a fitness studio might be more up your alley.
  2. Does the gym offer a free guest pass to try out before you buy or a first class is free? Great idea to see if you see yourself going there often before spending the money.
  3. Does the gym have hours that fit your schedule and your wallet? There are some gyms open 24 hours, no contracts, month to month. Be sure to see what is included in the basic membership: the classes, childcare, a free session with a personal training etc included?
  4. Is the location of the gym close enough to home or work? And if multiple locations do you have access to them all?
  5. Do you need childcare? Does the gym offer childcare when you can go to the gym? What is the price for using it?
  6. Does the equipment look new and clean? Sometimes a cheaper gym may have older or poorly maintained equipment.
  7. Are the personal trainers or instructors certified through an accredited organization? Always good to know, the people working you out know what they are doing. 
  8. Is the gym going to be able to help you achieve your fitness goals? 
Currently, I belong to the YMCA. At this stage in my life it is the best fit. It is very family friendly -my kids love going. Since I am a 'newbie' to sprint triathlons having an indoor pool makes it great for me to practice my weakest event year round. I recently met up with a wellness coach who helped me get started with weight training which is a foreign land to me. Previously I have belonged to places that had no classes or an indoor pool. It was much cheaper than the Y and at that stage in my life was a perfect fit. 
So do your research and go visit some places. You will find the right fit for sure. 

Right now you can join the Y with no join fee until mid January.

No comments:

Post a Comment