Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Getting Fit With Nutrition

Nutrition is one of my weakest link when it comes to getting fit. What you put into your body is just as important as how you exercise. The two go hand and hand.  I have slowly learned the hardway of staying hydrated and fueled during my races as I have met a few paramedics at the end of races because of my poor fueling during the race. Making healthy nutritional choices is important everyday - just not for race day. I am fortunate, though, I found a running buddy that is all into nutrition. She keeps me up-to-date on healthy eating and I help her with her running - which is new for her.

Like I mentioned above, I have lots to learn still about nutrition, but fortunately, there is lots of information out there for everyone to read and trained nutritionist who are eager to help.  Here are a few of my favorite cookbooks,websites, and nutrition books to get you started:
  • Cooking more at home. A new favorite cookbook - America's Test Kitchen Family Healthy Cookbook gives ideas on how to make healthy meals and a good one for beginning cooks - not necessary fast meals though.
  • Freezer Cooking - Make double batches of freezable food such as taco meat or lasagnas. Freeze the other half to eat at another time - then you are not cooking all the time. I like Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer Cookbook.
  • Check out the 100 Days of Real Food for suggestions on slowly changing the way you eat into more whole foods instead of processed foods.
  • I am slowly working my way through Nancy Clarks' Sports Nutrition Guidebook. Amazon describes this book "will help you make the right food choices in grocery stores, restaurants, drive-throughs, and your own kitchen."
Also check out this FREE nutrition class offered at Ujima Neighborhood Place Conference Room beginning this Thursday, Jan. 16.

What are some of your favorite recipes, websites, places to keep you eating healthy and staying fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment